Sunday, July 31, 2011

Reentering the IRL dating scene.


On Friday, I had a first date with a friend from (the first time I tried) college. I was looking forward to it all week, because after three years of paying for unemployed boyfriends to eat, I was fairly excited about having someone else buy me dinner for once. Yea, it's pretty traditional, but take this hit for me, girls. From past relationships, I've had enough equality and shared responsibility to last me the rest of my life.

Then the date happened and... it was unspectacular. It wasn't bad; I just didn't feel any chemistry between the two of us. There was no especially poignant conversation that revealed to me that we had some deeper connection. And it didn't help that, as hard as we tried to fight it, every few minutes we ended up talking about WoW again and again.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy a good "intellectual" discussion about class mechanics as much as the next person, but I knew this kid before we even started playing WoW, and now it's the topic our minds grab onto when we are grappling for things to have in common.

Damn me and my gravitation towards awkward gamer guys. Since WoW is the major source of my social interaction, all of the wo/men I meet and subsequent romantic relationships are doomed to revolve around the latest content patch. Reminiscing will consist of recollecting how that one time, s/he saved me from getting ganked in the Molten Front.

My other choice is branching out and only dating people from other gaming genres. Are there any eligible StarCraft players out there?

... who will buy dinner?

-Avia.

No comments:

Post a Comment